Chocolate Transfer Method Tutorial

I love using the chocolate transfer method for making decorations for cakes.
I get alot of emails asking me how I make them. So I have attempted at making a tutorial for you! Here goes...

A few things to keep in mind when working with chocolate, candy melts, candy coatings, ect
  • Chocolate cannot get water in it, it will seize it up.
  • Melt the chocolate slowly DO NOT OVER HEAT.
  • Melt the chocolate in 30 sec increments stirring in between heatings.
  • COLORING your chocolate. There are a couple of options here. You can use candy oil colors. I prefer Americolors. You can also use gel colors for cake decorating BUT you need to add a product called Flo Coat so the gel color won't seize the chocolate. You can also purchase pre colored chocolates, candy melts, ect.
  • If your chocolate is hard to work with don't make it hotter, it will ruin the chocolate add paramount crystals or Crisco to it and it will help relax and smooth out the chocolate.
  • Store in a cool dry place. Do not store in fridge or freezer. Chocolates will last a long time if stored properly.
Step 1:
  • Find an image that you want to do your transfer with. You can get one off the internet, coloring book, just about any where you want. I usually do a search for coloring pages on the internet. If you are printing an image from your computer you need to make sure and print a mirror image. This is especially important if you are using words in your image. If you don't print a mirror image your letters will come out backwards on your transfer. So just keep that in mind.
Step 2:
I tape my image to the back of a glass picture frame so I can see the image through the glass. I bought a picture frame from the dollar store and took out the glass part. Make sure and tape the edges of your glass so you don’t get cut.Tape a piece of wax paper, parchment paper or an overhead projector sheet (acetate paper) on top of the glass. Make sure there are no wrinkles in the paper.


Step 3:
Melt and color your chocolate. I like to use parchment paper bags for my chocolate. If you don’t know how to fold a parchment paper cone here are some instructions.I keep a heating pad on warm while I am working with my chocolate. I keep the bags on the heating pad so the chocolate stays melted.



Step 4:
Start outlining. I like to use brown chocolate for the outlining. Once you have done your outlining then let it dry.



Step 5:
Now start filling in. You have to think a little ahead. You will want to fill in the small dots and eyes and all the smaller areas. Once those are filled in then add the rest of the colors. Let dry.



Cover the delicate areas with white chocolate like the legs, antennas ect.
So they don’t break off.

Step 6:
Let the pieces dry well, then flip them over and peel of the paper.


And viola, you have cute, edible pieces ready to put on a cake!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should I use couverture or compound chocolate for image transfer? MH

Morgan Garrison said...

Hi, thanks for the question. Sorry in the delay in getting back to you. I use Candy Melts, there are a few different brands, Wilton, Merkins, Make and Mold.